Oh boy do I love to cook, and I have had to learn to love it more since switching to an almost 100% paleo diet. I now love foods I never thought I would – one of them is Squash!
Honestly, I thought I could live my whole life without ever eating it.
I had it once when I was a kid and thought it was disgusting and slimy. So please if you feel the same way YOU need to try this recipe. From my husbands mouth “I actually prefer this over real lasagna” This has also convinced me that I will be planting squash in my garden this year.
So here is what you need:
- 1 Butternut Squash (or any variety really…I have used yellow before) – peeled, seeded & sliced – If you don’t have Squash sub Sweet potatoes and slice the long way
- 1 Onion, minced
- Garlic, minced | a big scoop should do
- 1 package Trader Joes Uncooked Italian Chicken Sausage
- 1 Roasted Red Pepper
- 1/4 Olive Oil
- 16oz Tomato Sauce
- Pizza Seasoning
1. Pre-heat oven to 400. Then start cooking sausage. To do so remove sausage from casings and crumble and saute on Medium High Heat. Add the onion and garlic at this time as well.
2. While you sausage is cooking start preparing your squash like so:
3. Now for The Sauce: In a blender or Food Processor add your 2 (8oz) cans of tomato sauce, 1 and 1/2 tablespoons Frontier Pizza Seasoning, Roasted Red Pepper, 1 teaspoon Salt and a dash of basil. You could use fresh basil if you would like, and puree. While your food processor is still running add in 1/4 cup olive oil. Taste it, you will almost want to eat it just buy itself!
*Note if you want to make your own roasted peppers just cut in half and deseed. Then place on a piece of foil skin side up. Spray lightly with olive oil and place in toaster oven on 400 until skin is blackened. Once they are done enclose in foil and let them sit for about 10-15min and peel off skin.
*You can also use a jar of pizza sauce if you would like, instead of making your own.
4. Putting it all together: In a baking dish (9×9 ish pan) put enough sauce on the bottom to cover. Then create a layer of squash followed by the meat mixture. Repeat with Sauce, Squash, Meat until everything is used up. Make sure to leave enough sauce so the top is covered.
6. Cook for about 45 minutes until squash is tender. It will be liquidly, but will solidify once it sits for a bit. Enjoy with some salad!
YUM! So you don’t lose this recipe, make sure you “Pin it“
This recipe was adapted from Health-Bent