There is something special about making recipes from scratch. I feel a sense of victory, somewhat similar to how Tom Hanks felt in Cast Away* when he made fire. I have a personal moment to myself, where I dance all around my oven and shout at the top of my lungs! “I have made______”
So friends, it’s Fall and if you haven’t yet – buy yourself a sugar pumpkin and do this! It’s a lot easier than making fire, so easy you are almost nervous to tell your friends the secret.
How to make Homemade Pumpkin Puree, the easy way!
1. Preheat oven to 300 degree
2. place whole pumpkin in oven and bake until fork can be poked through, about 1 hour
3. let pumpkin cool, remove steam, peel skin. Cut in half and scoop out the seeds.
4. Place cooked pumpkin in bowl and blend – My attachment broke for my Cuisinart Food Processor* so I used my Cuisinart Immersion Hand Blender * to puree.
5. You can use right away to make your favorite pumpkin recipe or store in freezer bag for future use. I like to score mine so I don’t have to thaw the entire amount.
Nice and easy right?! Do you make your own pumpkin puree from scratch or do you make it even easier and buy the canned version*?
Cooking With Pumpkins and Squash has more than 50 delicious recipes for pumpkins and squash–features ideas for both savory and sweet dishes, perfect for everyday eating.